Saturday, January 3, 2015

Happy New Year!

New Year, new try at this. Since I use this basically as a "what's happening in my life" type thing and my life is typically very boring, there hasn't been a lot to write about. But that's gonna change. Not my life (I hope) but the writing about it. I spend a lot of time with my horses and sewing, but not at the same time. So why not write about those things and whatever progress is being made or not.

As for this week, not much time has been spent at the barn other than for feeding. It has rained off and on for at least the last three days. The barn cut up, his name is Du Dritter Lite, told me tonight, in his little horsey voice, that he thought we ought to install a swimming pool. There was enough water to fill it, he thought. And did I have any idea when it would quit? humpf... as if I were the weather man. Not a clue when it will quit but it is supposed to get quite a bit colder I think, sometime in the next day or two.


As for sewing, I would love to call this year the Finally Finished year. Pull out all those unfinished projects and complete them. We'll see what happens there. I do have a start. Several unfinished doll garments have been tossed in a basket and are now sitting beside the sewing table. They have high hopes of being completed this year. I have a baby quilt that my mother started for "The Son" and then gave to me to finish for a friends first child. Well "The Son" is now in his 30's the friend's daughter is getting ready to graduate from high school and the quilt is still not finished. I think it's about time don't you. Maybe I'll drag it out and add it to the basket.

I joined CQJP 2015, after finishing up 2014 barely. I need to grab the button for that and put it on the side bar. (Maybe tomorrow....)  I decided this year to attack it a bit differently. I am going to piece my blocks ahead of time so that each month all I have to do is the magic. Like that's not a lot. So today, I got the backings cut for all 12 blocks and pieced the first one. I have been saving these blues and greens in a tub and pulling the trims, beads and such for several months. Since they are all together I'll just go ahead and use them. I'll also start pulling all the trims and such for the other blocks as I piece them so that they will be sorted and ready to stitch.


I'll post a finished photo when I get all the magic done. I'm still thinking about the colors for the other eleven blocks. As an art major I love working with color theory and so I may just pull those out of the hat and work like that. I'll just have to wait and see what I fabrics I find to go together.

Also, this past week I worked on a couple of dresses for the Grands 18" dolls. The Grands were taken to Disney World as part of their Christmas present and so I am making Princess dresses for the dolls. Well, the slips are made and the first two of the dresses are about half way there.Can I count the slips as a finally finished?

Today I received an order of  5" squares of  Moda's Roses and Chocolate. I spent part of the evening looking for a pattern that will use them to their best advantage. I'm thinking a lap quilt for my mom for Christmas. Maybe if I start now I'll get it finished in time. I have at least narrowed my choices down to one or two and will look and see what is in the fabric bin to help fill in or see if I need to order something else.

Well since it is "Finally Friday" and it's nearly over, I'll leave you with this bit of cowboy wisdom.

"Never squat with your spurs on". 



No comments:

Post a Comment