Saturday, January 17, 2015

Cold and wet... but warming up...


Well hello there. Not much happening around the place right now. It's been cold but is starting to warm back up. Warm enough that Du and I had a bit of a workout this morning. He is such a smart horse that if I can figure out how to teach something he picks it up really quick.  I'm thinking of starting him on Agility Training. I've got to look into it a bit more. He looks so sleepy here. Trust me he's just thinking up what kind of trouble to get into next. Breakfast is over and in just a moment he'll be turned loose into the pasture for a day of frolic and grazing.


Back sometime in October, my mom gave me this little plastic bag of dahlia tubers? She had bought them to put out in her flower beds but they were taken over by grass hoppers before she could get it done and they were just laying around taking up space and collecting dust. So I brought them home. This was October and the planting directions for my zone says to plant in March so I laid them on on the back of the desk. A couple of days ago I had some odd reason to pick up the bag and darn if the things hadn't started sprouting.  Well I know that January and February are going to be our coldest months and just couldn't put the outside, they would freeze. So I brought in a pot and planted the poor things. Maybe now that they are in a happy place with sunshine coming in the window and a regular watering they'll be okay until I can safely put them outside. Now to figure out where to put them. And am I going to have to dig them in the fall? I know that's not happening so I'll have to find a spot that protected to some degree.

















In the sewing world these past two weeks have been busy. The oldest Grand needs a costume so she can be a presidents wife. Lucretia Rudolph Garfield to be specific. So I've been making the dress and slip for her. Tomorrow I take it to see how it fits before finishing. Since the Kid took the Grands to Disney World during Christmas break I've also made the Snow White dresses for their 18" AG dolls. Hopefully that will be a happy surprise. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow and post later.

I have also worked on a couple of cq blocks that had been set aside since before Christmas. Slowly getting back into the hand work and I am loving it.

Well that pretty much catches me up for the last couple of weeks. I am sure that I left some things out but if they become important, well I'll just add them later. So I will close on this bit of equine wisdom:

"Graze in the same spot for too long and you'll end up with a mouthful of dirt."
All I need to Know I learned From My Horse by Pamela C Biddle and Joel E Fishman

No comments:

Post a Comment